Monday, June 13, 2011

All down here from hill......

Let me ask you, what beats spending a day in an exotic far away land pillaging perfect waves in beautiful soft pre-summer light? Well, coming home to a 900 gram slab of dry-aged Vasco steak of course!
So that's my day, and actually the last time I felt this good was when I descended from the Atacama dessert in Bolivia (5000 metres above sea level) - you all know that when you descend from high altitude you get this bizarre reverse-altitude strength? (because of the extra oxygen) Yeah, you feel like you can walk through brick walls, pick up cars and tear them in half, like the incredible hulk. Feels good.
Anyway, funny story: yesterday I was walking up the street with a baguette, just nibbling away, and next thing I knew someone swiped it out of my hands and ran off with it! Seriously! Someone stole my baguette!
Turns out it was Anton, from Russia! Cheeky bastard.
Seen here enjoying a hamburger at the 'cafe de la playa'. Actually he is a bit pissed because the girl didn't bring the ketchup. This cafe is awesome (on the beach) and the food is ok but the service is a comedy of errors, largely due to the fact that they recruit their staff from the hospitality school up the road. The ketchup arrived with the drinks we ordered before the meal, after we had finished it. Lame.
This weeks produce spotlight shines on..........Paraguayas!
Having just come into season, I was a bit suspicious of em at first, like "you look like a peach, but not as round, like your stunted...." But we got some at work and they were super juicy, and tasted like peach, but with hints of bubblegum, believe it or not. And because of their flat appearance they have been dubbed 'donut fruit' by us english speakers. 
So this is the last week at work before we shut up for 'vacaciones' and I take a couple of weeks off to do nothing more than surf, and explain to all non-surfing enquirers why having no social obligations, no family obligations, no bills to pay, no phone to answer, no diary, calendar, organiser, clock, schedule, anything......is absolutely a dream come true. 
We kick off work next month but then its only a matter of weeks before I grace the sweet soils of Australia with my world dominating presence, and hoo haaa, watch out beers!
All down here from hill, yieeepa!
J

5 comments:

  1. Hola Jahan! Soy Bek del Standard! I´m in Spain, send me an email so I can come find you and eat your food! rebekahstreet@gmail.com. x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I´m planning on being in San Sebastian from around the 4th - 9th of July, is that where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola! Good timing, my restaurant closes tomoz until the 5 de Julio. Call me when ya get here 651 326 664 (yes san sebastian) seeya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meant to be. Seeya in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. please say your brought me a cold pint of bulmers and a parma???

    ReplyDelete