Monday, August 29, 2011

IV Concurso Internacional ICEX de Alta Cocina Espanola.....

Well folks, it's been almost eight months and my training is nearly complete. As the the last few days at Arzak pass me by, the final test looms on the horizon; three hours, four plates, twenty chefs. Game on.


I have spent the last few weeks putting the final touches on my dish, and I have really enjoyed the support I have been getting at work. Juan-Mari graciously extended to me free reign in the stores, so I have been doing a lot of testing with foie gras ha ha!
He also said I can plagiarise one of his new dishes if I want,.... "thank's man" but no. The formula for the recipe is quite specific - and there are a few compulsory ingredients. They are:


 - Jamon
 - Queso de Espana (Spanish cheese)
 - Conservas de Pescado (canned fish)
 - Conservas de Verduras (canned veges)
 - Vino de Espana (Spanish wine)
 - Azafran (saffron)

So, obviously that is a lot of variety for one plate, and my first priority with the testing was to establish ingredients that I thought were cohesive in unison. Have a look at the list and think: what would you do????
Happily though, I found products that were really really good and also symbolic of my trip through Spain. Actually, the plate has taken on a life of its own - I have given it space, time, sustenance,.... actually it's kinda like living thing, and I have enjoyed watching it grow!!
It is called 'Abajo Las Olas' and it is a reflection of my time here in San Sebastian. It is very colourful, and true to the nature of Arzak, nothing looks like what it actually is.....
Oh - Abajo Las Olas - Under The Waves. 
Here is some pics..
Salpicadura de Tinta.......
super tasty......
super freaky......
it is not actually food......
but you can eat it.......


Copos de Naranja.......
not orange......
super super tasty......
actually sea food.......
.........


Crujientes.......
nice little tasty stroke of accidental genius.....
like "hmmm, what is that in the bottom of the pan?.....oh, would you look at that!"
Love it!


So as you can see, lots of colour and whacky shapes. The creative team at work kindly offered their services up in the laboratory at Arzak, but actually I haven't had to take them up on the offer - haven't needed to so far.
The comp is on the 12 of Sept in Madrid, and the the judges are going to have a lot on their plate (excuse the pun), imagine judging twenty plates of food - hard work!


In other matters - I went to Biarritz today, over in France. Amazing place, would love to spend some time there. At the end of the week I am heading off to Germany for a couple of days to unwind before the comp, the last few weeks have have been a little stressful, with the program coming to an end, and the comp looming....
I am virtually beside my self with grief at the prospect of leaving SS, I really love this place. I will miss my butcher, my barista, my local pub, the beach, the sea air........


To all you ICEX gangstas out there - good luck with your dishes, I hope you find your zen and master your chi. To all you Varins, Chippys, Huseyins and Daikis...... to all you Yanks, Poms, Brazilians and Mexicans..... Good luck on comp day, bring the heat! Lets shine like setting suns baby!
Over and out.
Jahan





No comments:

Post a Comment