Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Final Post.......pipped....etc

Well here she is people - 'Bajo Las Olas' in all her glory. Gotta tell ya, if there is one thing I would like to again, it is compete internationally - SO MUCH FUN!!!
Just for the record, Ivan from Russia took first place with a Ferran Adria inspired investigation of the all-mighty Chipironi, Daiki from Japan snagged second with some beautifull chargrilling, and Cheong from Singapore came in at third for no other reason than he looked like Mr T from The A Team.
In fact here he is, about to introduce me to his friend PAIN, after which he will introduce me to his other friend LOTS OF PAIN. Ha ahaa.
This shot is taken after the comp where the whole place deteriorated into absolute shenanigans - leftover 'cooking wine' and plate cleaning gin were to blame!
But for now let us rewind........
Mum came over to visit for the few weeks leading up to the comp. One hot sunny day we hired a bright red mini and took a thrill ride up through the laweless hillside highways of the Basque countryside to a small town called Axpe.
This is the view from Plaza San Juan, and the front door of Asador Etxebarri; probably Spain's most famous non-famous restaurant. The food here is as clean, simple, honest, and absolutely awe-inspiring as the setting.
Unfortunately we couldn't stay long, as I had to get back to Arzak to prepare my dish for the revered ones.
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I was a little nervous - probably more so than in the comp, but geez - what a result!
This is Juan-Mari after he ate 'Bajo'. At first he was intrigued with the bright colours and abstract composition (well once he got off the phone that is) and then he started with a slight nibble and the associated enquiries - "what's this?...crunch crunch crunch... and this?... crunch crunch crunch..... oh yes..."
Soon enough the strong flavours and complex boquets had him reaching for his knife and fork, and once he hit the scallop and salsa he was pretty much sailing, and I was absolutely chuffed with how much he was enjoying it! By the time the last of the sauce was being mopped up he was waiving his arms around, bothering the Head Chef Pello for details of produts, and asking me for the recipe! How. Awesome. Is. That. The old boy was beside himself! Ha!
So the next night Mum and I went in for dinner, and we got the royal treatment - and I very proudly handed over my recipes. We sat at our table at nine PM and I warned Mum "watch out, theyr'e going to hit us with everything they have" and boy, it was intense! Three hours of non-stop cullinary assault, with wine. Round about twelve we rolled out the door - Mum was falling asleep at the table, and I was hammered. I said farewell to the Arzaks, but I will be seeing them again; my other family.
The next day disaster struck. I was loading my surfboard onto the train (to Madrid) when the doors suddenly shut and the train pulled away while my lugguage was still on the platform. Along with all my personal belongings was my comp plates, uniform, tools, and specialty products. I was beside myself with anguish and actually tried to smash the train window, but it was made of really tough plastic and all I did was convince the other passengers that I was a complete maniac. After calming down I managed to convince myself that everything would work out. Nope. Two days later, just hours before the comp, there was still no sign of my lugguage. I hadn't slept in days, and I had no clean clothes either - I was a wreck. I had decided to forfeit the comp, but as monday morning rolled around I resolved to compete using borrowed gear, and make a new plate up on the spot; an idea that seemed more and more attractive!
As the bus rolled into the hotel carpark to take us to the comp, so arrived my lugguage, and just like that I was back on track.
Here is me in the final moments:

Using black stone plates rubbed with olive oil, I put down circles of Salsa Roja con Huevos de Erizo de Mar.
That is a red sauce (tomato, thyme, onion, pepper) slowly reduced over two hours, then flavour-boosted with Sea Urchin roe, and coloured with Cochinilla.

Next up is Tempura de Espuegeti de Mar.
Sea spaghetti is a type of seaweed from Galicia, and I love it. The tempura batter is pretty basic, bit of lemon and parsley; a nice dramatic touch that is happy to play second fiddle in the flavour profile.
Here come the other 'crujientes' - crunchies.
The yellow twisty things are actually these crazy goats cheese creations; really tight flavour and organic appearence. I sprinkled em with this black powder that is actually eggplant ash.
The other thing in the corner is a Salpicadura de Tinta - Squid Ink 'SPLASH'
It is made out of a plastic like substance called Obulato. Derived from potato, obulato is the plastic substance that covers tablets (like cold & flu for instance) Rub it with squid ink and bake it and you have a really dynamic and crunchy little number - hello!
You can see the Scallops and Jamon finishing the composition there, and the orange powder I am sprinkling on top is Coralin de Viera - Scallop Coral.
Not gonna share the method on this one folks - all about the IP these days. Sorry.
Needless to say I made it to the judges in one piece (despite smashing my head on the range hood as I rounded the final corner) where I apparently delivered my spiel with "personality, esteem, and confidence unsupassed".
Unfortunately I had to settle with fourth place, as did many others ha ha. The judges tracked me down after to tell me how amazing the plate was....but.... reminiscent of so many girlfriends before.....sorry, not this time.
On the bright side!!!! I am back home in Tasmania now, and looking forwards to my unnoficial title of Ambassador of Spanish Cuisine. The air here is fresh and clean, the colours in the sky bright and vibrant, the produce superb and overpriced, and the people kind and loving. Welcome home.

No comments:

Post a Comment