Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Captain salted peanut man and other things I didn't post.........

Welcome all, glad you could make it. Let us begin with the latest edition of 'what I ate' otherwise known as 'The Adventures of Txakoli and Cazuela'.......
In this star studded episode we see Cidra de Manzana standing in for Txakoli, and a magnificent tour de force by Chulleta Ternera. Know what i'm talking about? no? get used to it folks.
So what the hell is a salted peanut man and what exactly is he captain of? good question.......
My editor in chief informs me that I need more non-culinary content, "break it up a bit" she says "more surfing stories" she suggests "where's my paycheque" she demands. Women.
Sure, more surfing stories, problem is surfing is hard to write about. I've found over the years the best way to describe it is in dialogue full of colloquialisms, slang and swearing (ha, I just nailed 'colloquialisms') 
Anyway, seeings that I am here alone with no other Aussies in sight dialogue is out of the question, unless....... I had the thought that all I need is an alter-ego, hence Captain Salted Peanut Man was conceived. And that's where the story ends for now.
This is my surfboard and trusty travelling companion for the last eight years. Never complains, doesn't eat much and always keen for a surf. Cant say the same for myself ha ha, especially last sunday when I got to the beach and the whole bay was one line of whitewash about a kilometre long. Look at the photo and imagine how big the wave must've been. The next set of waves that came in from the NW and wrapped around the rocks were pushing six metres
 biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig. 
Probably shouldn't have gone out - stewart (my board) is not cut out for big waves; at 6'1" he is a brilliant featherweight, but still a featherweight. But, it's in these waves that dreams are made, so.
Took my time getting into my traje and drank some extra water before I went out. Got past the shorie with only a little effort, found everything had gone eerily calm and quiet, except for the sound of my kneecaps rattling against my board. Had about another sixty odd metres to cover to get behind the monsters, and I was making pretty good ground. Round about this time a set usually appears, erases the horizon, unloads, and ruins your day before it has even started. Today was no different. Luckily it was only a medium set and I scratched over it, the snarling hiss of the beast was only matched by the hollow rumbling deep within its belly; hungry for fibreglass and flesh. Out of the corner of my eye I swear I saw something alive looking back at me. I nearly threw up as I dropped down the back of it.
Tried to hook into a few middle-sizers but it was hard to get the speed up to match em, days like this you could really use a few more inches ha ha (maturity people)
Didn't get to tangle with the beast I saw earlier, the tide turned and the bay started to swell out, still got a few thumpers; full extension drops like jumping off the roof of a house. Was pretty sore for it - bruised heels and aching tendons in my arms from getting thrashed.
Took on lighter pursuits for a couple of days, like smelling the morning paper. Yep, smelling. Elena passed on a copy of the Adelaide Review that she brought back from aus. As soon as she opened it I caught a great waft of the most delicious scent - Australian news print. If only you could bottle it....
Suggested to JM that he could use it in one of his dishes. Not really reflective of the new Spanish kitchen he reckons. Our pastry chef whipped up a batch of 'Torinjas' for easter - traditional dish of bread soaked in sweet milk and vanilla overnight before being fried. She left em sitting in a baking tray on the bench next to JM's office and he caught sight of it and you should've seen his face light up. He's just spent the week tearing the shit out of the 'bogavante' dish - reinventing it - and it looks absolutely sensational, and damn he is good, but like all good cooks his heart is firmly rooted in the traditional. The pastry chef caught him just as he was perched like a high diver, about to plummet spoon first into this batch of torinjas. She shooed him away like a pigeon, but the second she ducked out for a smoke the crafty bugger was back, spoon in hand, gleefully poking around like a naughty child.
Un abrazo.

4 comments:

  1. hey jahan ,
    how are you ?
    ill be in san sebastien june 22-26 with daniel , we should hang out and drink beer
    looking at accomadation now ,
    any restaurant booking sugestions welcome
    is arzark closed ?
    damn shame if so ,hope your well
    danica xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hEYa Danica,
    I am well, Elena passed on your greetings - I trust you took care of her, she was very impressed with MoVida and Australia in general.
    I think Arzak is closed unfortunately but the upside is that I will have time to hang out and drink beer, as you so wisely suggested!
    You guys are gonna luuuuuuurrrve this place - it pretty much is heaven, really.
    Talk soon,
    JJJ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. heya,
    so ive booked our 4nights in san sebastian at hotel & suites Arrizul Gros which is situated on Iparraguire 3 , san sebastien 20003 ?
    is this close to you ?
    is there another way we can stay in contact apart from your blog i asked around at work but no one seemed to have your email ,
    mine is danicasladic1980@gmail.com
    zoe has a mate who is checking out mugaritz to see if i can get a booking ,
    any ohter michelen star restaurants you can reccomend / get me a table at ?
    looking forward to seeing you and touring the streets eating pinxtos
    yay ,
    if there is any restaurant that you must take us to please book it !
    muchoes love ,
    Danica xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo, sounds good - I recommend Restaurant Martin Berasategui - has three stars and is about as clinically flawless dining experience, this side of the pyrenees, you can hope to get. They got eighty chefs! The foie with green apple and smoked eel is the bomb. BANG!
    Contact me at globaljahan@yahoo.com.au
    Talk soon
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete