Sunday, May 8, 2011

Check out my massive earphones - they're Extreme Isolation muffs for recording drumming - obviously I do a lot of that over here in Spain.
I only wear em at night because they are huuuuge, but its nice walking through the city getting your nerves rattled by heavy D&B! Normally I wouldn't bother taking photos after work because I am knackered, but I have been shifted to 'apertivos' section - gets hit first and hardest, the upside is your out the door first and into the city to smash shots, drink beers and make eyes at crazy Spanish broads - before the fatigue kicks in and you drag feets home.
This is my latest charge - salad. Not that hard but there is all kinds of stuff going on underneath those pretty leaves; citrus, mustard, shallots, even tapioca. I cant tell you how nice it is to be using my knife again, which I am proud to demonstrate to the other chefs, is sharp enough to shave with. Like razor yes. Did a bit of cooking today (day off)......
To the left is black tomato, and on the right is these awesome wild mushies that taste like watermelon - seriously - exactly 'la misma' but with slightly less sugar. I pickled em off with sherry vinegar, garlic, and red onion for later folly. The toms I cooked down into a sauce with pequillo peppers and almonds - jacked it into this calamar and pequillo funk, good times!
I got a funny story fo youse - two weeks ago it was really hot day and I was just preoccupying myself with food, booze, and beach. Was leaning off my balcony and I saw this guy disappear down the stairs of our building. He was wearing an 'Australia' green and gold singlet with matching shorts and thongs. I was gonna call out but I didn't. Next week I was coming up the stairs with my key in hand and the door did 'magic door' and opened up in front of me and there was this guy standing on the other side. I noticed the coat of arms on his singlet - emu and kanga - and I siad "hey! where ya from?" but something wasn't right. His eyes shifted left and right and he said in a completely unexpected rich baritone voice "jormanee" (germany)
Filthy mongrel, he must of seen the shadow fall across my face as I considered forcibly removing his singlet - "this is Australian" I lectured him. There was an awkward silence and we went our separate ways. Few days ago I passed him on the street and we recognised each other from twenty paces. We came to pass and I raised my index finger and said in my deepest voice "das ist verboten".
Whatever he was expecting me to say, it sure as hell wasn't something in German ha ha! his eyes nearly bugged out of his head!
Anyway, I reckon i'm gonna get him real drunk until he throws up and feels sorry for himself - impersonating an Australian huh, well wait till I bust out the beer bong!
My old mates Duffy (with mum) and Akira swung into town, and we crawled around Puerto Viaje for a while. Stumbled into this bar where I simultaneously enjoyed pintxos and made an arsehole out of myself - these bars have rules, should probably learn em!
Leave today's post as I left these guys - pastry section: Jorge and Diego - absolute clowns! I miss the shenanigans - all the time we stood around impersonating bird calls, until the entire kitchen sounded like an aviary. They were particularly impressed with my impersonation of east coast small birds. Im trying to figure out how to write down what a bird call sounds like.........leave me with it.......
Adios
J

No comments:

Post a Comment